Hazardous Materials Business Plan (HMBP) Program

The purpose of the Hazardous Materials Business Plan (HMBP) program is to prevent or minimize harm to public health and the environment from a release or threatened release of a hazardous material. By submitting an HMBP, emergency responders can effectively protect the public. The HMBP also satisfies the federal Emergency Planning and Community Right-to-Know Act (EPCRA), which was created in 1986 to help communities plan for chemical-related emergencies.

Alameda County Department of Environmental Health (ACDEH) is the Certified Unified Program Agency (CUPA) responsible for the implementation, enforcement, and administration of the HMBP program for facilities located in Alameda County, other than the cities of Berkeley, Fremont, Hayward, Livermore, Pleasanton, San Leandro, and Union City.

Authority: California Health and Safety Code, Division 20, Chapter 6.95, §25500-25519
California Code of Regulations, Title 19, Division 2, Chapter 4

New HMBP Permit Condition - Starting July 1, 2020, Alameda County Department of Environmental Health (ACDEH) permits for facilities in the Hazardous Materials Business Plan (HMBP) program will require submittal of a complete HMBP every year to the California Environmental Reporting System (CERS).

Permit Requirement to Annually Submit HMBP in CERS

Businesses storing hazardous materials (including hazardous waste) or extremely hazardous substances at reportable quantities, are required to prepare and electronically submit a Hazardous Materials Business Plan (HMBP). The general reportable quantities are equal to or greater than 55 gallons of a liquid, 200 cubic feet of a gas, and 500 pounds of a solid.
Your Hazardous Materials Business Plan (HMBP) will prepare emergency response personnel for handling emergencies which could occur at your facility. The section below contains the information that is required to have an adequate HMBP for your facility uploaded into the California Environmental Reporting System (CERS).

General requirements for facilities in HMBP

  • Submit the following information electronically via CERS at https://cers.calepa.ca.gov/ :
    • Facility Information (including Business Activities and Business Owner/Operator Identification)
    • Hazardous Material Inventory (including site map/plan)
    • Emergency Response and Training Plans
  • Annual training in the HMBP for all facility personnel
  • Review, update, and recertify the HMBP Plan annually
  • Pay the annual invoice to keep your permit active

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

To obtain an operating permit from ACDEH, the business shall prepare and submit and complete HMBP in CERS.  An invoice will be sent to the billing contact once processed.

In 2008, the State of California enacted Assembly Bill (AB) 2286.  This legislation requires the State's Secretary for Environmental Protection to establish an electronic information management system known as the California Environmental Reporting System (CERS).  Beginning January 1, 2013, all regulated facilities must report their CUPA program data electronically to CERS.

CERS benefits regulated facilities by simplifying the document submittal process, including new information submittals and updating existing information to the CUPA.  CERS will allow response agencies quick access to current data during emergency response activities.  More information on CERS and electronic reporting can be found at http://www.calepa.ca.gov/CUPA/EReporting.

ACDEH may provide training and assistance to businesses in entering their facility information into CERS. Please continue to visit our website for information on future training opportunities.

Yes, the State of California requires all HMBPs to be submitted electronically to CERS [Health & Safety Code 25508].

Please complete an ELECTRONIC REPORTING LEAD USER AUTHORIZATION FORM to ensure that only individuals designated by the facility owner/operator are authorized by the CUPA to create, edit, and submit electronic data on the owner's behalf to CERS.  Submit the completed form to dehcers@acgov.org.

You will need to create a username and password and request access to the address of your facility.

Submit a complete HMBP to CERS within 30 days after your business becomes subject to the HMBP program.

Annually review and certify your HMBP in CERS is complete, accurate, and in compliance with Section 11022 of Title 42 of the United States Code.

Update your HMBP in CERS within 30 days of any substantial changes to your facility’s operations such as: 

  • A 100 percent or more increase in the quantity of a previously disclosed material 
  • Any handling of a previously undisclosed hazardous material subject to the inventory requirements of an HMBP
  • Change of business address
  • Change of business ownership
  • Change of business name
  • A substantial change in the handler’s operations
  • Any change in emergency response personnel
All spills, releases, or threatened releases of a hazardous material must be immediately reported to ACDEH at (510) 567-6702 and Cal OES State Warning Center at (800) 852-7550 or (916) 845–8911.

Please notify the CUPA 30 days before your facility is closed by completing and submitting the closure notification on your permit to the CUPA at dehcers@acgov.org.

Log in to CERS and update the Business Activities page by marking “NO” on all of the questions to report that all the chemicals were properly removed from your facility.  Under Additional Comments at the bottom of that page, please enter the date of facility closure.  Please contact the CUPA for assistance.

An inspector will visit your facility to help you satisfy the closure requirements of the CUPA.