Service RequestsIn order to request service, please complete the service request application form and submit as directed on the application.
Service Request Application
Service Request Application Supplemental Tables
Table 2: OWTS Design Approval Process
Table 3: Building Permit Plan Approval Process
Table 4.1: Standard OWTS Construction Permit Issuance Process
Table 4.2: Advanced OWTS Construction Permit Issuance Process
Table 5: OWTS Operating Permit Issuance Process
Table 6: OWTS Abandonment Permit Issuance Process
The Alameda County OWTS Regulations and Amendments (effective January 15, 2009) were developed under the authority of the Alameda County General Ordinance Code, Chapter 15.18.040.B. The Regulations to provide for the safe and sanitary treatment and disposal of private sewage. The County Regulations provide minimum standards for the construction and operation of OWTS's, to safely treat and dispose of sewage in order to prevent environmental degradation including pollution of surface water and groundwater and to protect public health, safety and welfare to the greatest extent possible. The County Regulations are not intended to replace requirements of the State Water Resources Control Board or other local agencies such as the Zone 7 Water Agency, which must also be met.
The Water Quality Control Policy for Siting, Design, Operation, and Maintenance of Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems (State OWTS Policy) was adopted by the State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB) on June 19th, 2012, and became effective on May 13, 2013. The Policy recognizes that local agencies can provide the most effective means to manage OWTS's on a routine basis. Therefore as an important element, it is the intent of the Policy to utilize and improve upon necessary existing local programs through coordination with State and Local Agencies.
ACDEH DocumentsJune 2018 LAMP Documents for Public Review
Other Agency Documents
- California State Water Resources Control Board Onsite Wastewater Treatment Systems Policy(PDF) and Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Zone 7 Groundwater Management Plan
- Grading, Erosion, and Sediment Control (Alameda County General Ordinance, Chapter 15.36)
- Alameda County 2013 Building Ordinance(PDF) No. O-2013-50
- San Francisco Regional Water Quality Control Board Water Quality Control Plan (Basin Plan)(PDF)
A list of local OWTS Design Professionals & Consultants is provided below for your reference. This list does not represent an endorsement of any particular professional by ACDEH.
OWTS Design Professionals and Consultants List
Careful selection of the licensed professional best suited for your project, and clear communication in the beginning, is the foundation of a successful project.
State Regulations Governing OWTS Design Professionals
Registered Environmental Health Specialists (REHS), Registered Geologists, and Registered Civil Engineers are authorized by Alameda County OWTS Regulations to design OWTS's. If your project requires the design of any fixed works for drainage, water supply, purification of water, grading; geotechnical evaluation for slope stability; and/or land surveying in connection with your OWTS design, these activities must be performed under direction of a Licensed Civil Engineer and/or Licensed Land Surveyor. State Regulations Governing these professionals are provided below.
- California Health & Safety Code, Article 1: Registered Environmental Health Specialists (§§ 106600 - 106735)
- Geologists & Geophysicist Act, Business & Professions Code (§§ 7800 - 7887)
- Regulations Relating to the Practices of Geology and Geophysics, California Code of Regulations Title 16, Division 29 (§§ 3000 - 3067)
- Professional Engineers Act, Business and Professions Code (§§ 6700 - 6799)
- Professional Land Surveyors' Act, Business and Professions Code (§§ 8700 - 8805)
- Board Rules and Regulations Relating to the Practices of Professional Engineering and Professional Land Surveying, California Code of Regulations Title 16, Division 5 (§§ 400 - 476)
ACDEH OWTS Program recommends that homeowners review the following guidelines to gain more knowledge before selecting a professional for their project.